March 26, 2016

Redefining Natural Hair Success

Hello Journeyers! I hope all is well. I've been wanting to address this topic for a while so I'm pretty excited to finally get to it.

Before I start, I think this picture speaks a million words:


Some call it a fad, others a lifestyle but either way, I'm thrilled to see that wearing our own natural hair has become a more acceptable option in areas where it was once considered risque (school, corporate work environments, the military, etc). I was and remain thrilled to be part of a movement of curly-haired, brown diaspora women who have decided to unyoke themselves from the ideology that 'white is the only way to look right'. We're all God's creatures so while I see beauty in the tresses of blondes, ringlets of redheads, and bounce of brunette bobs; I also see and LOVE my brown sisters and brothers wearing their crowns of kinks, coils, and curls with unapologetic pride.

That said, it seems that we've now reached a place where a lot of women feel they've only had a successful natural hair journey if they can wear one of these.




Don't even get me started on the second picture. It's cute but do you really need a picture to know this information? I think it was more helpful when it defined the acronyms sometimes thrown around by naturalistas (i.e. BSL- bra strap length). 

All this said, my frustration is borne out of what seems to be a mindset. Perhaps I'm wrong but it seems that all of this is a confirmation that whether relaxed or natural, we as a community still idolize a certain 'look'.


Having been natural a while now, I certainly understand the desire to know one's hair progress. I get it. 

What I do not believe and hate to inform you is that you can try all the products in the world and try every technique known to man, not everybody is going to have curls like the picture above. Beyond the coils, it's the length that many have mentally designated as the sign of success. Well curlfriend, I hate to be the bearer of bad news. 

I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm saying it's idealistic. 



Why you ask? 
One of my natural hair faves, Kim Love of Luv Naturals explains it perfectly in this video. Summarily, hair growth is determined by many things including but not limited to age, diet, exercise, genetics, medications, hair practices, etc.


So the moral of the story: 
STOP defining your success based on the results of someone else's hair journey!!!


While I love to see beautiful hair of varying textures, color, styles, etc. I do not allow their pictures to discourage me or define my goals. What is great FOR THEM, may not be reality FOR ME.

So how SHOULD I define success? 
If your hair is shiny, thick, strong, and healthy- your journey has been successful. What more could you ask for?

'Til next time my friend....
May God bless and keep you!

Be sure to join us on Facebook. We have a lively group where it's not about ad, advertising, model searches, product sales. It's just an open forum to ask and share information about your healthy hair (or life) journey. Come on over!

Click picture to be redirected:

Problems? Click here>>>  https://www.facebook.com/groups/JourneytomyRoots

No comments:

Post a Comment