December 23, 2014

My Natural Hair Journey...the good, the bad, and the ugly!

Every day, people ask me what's the secret and how to get started on the journey.

The answer is simple- JUST DO IT!

1. Start by educating yourself on the basics including the science of hair. You can do this several ways but the most common way is to dive into vlogs, blogs, websites, YouTube, Facebook, etc. While I also suggest this route, I suggest you do so discerningly. There's LOTS of great information out there but there's also lots of junk! Pick a few sites/channels/personalities and then do a bit of homework. Check out a few of their blogs/vlogs/etc. Does the information they're sharing pass the sniff-test? Does it come across as objective or is there a bit of subjectivity/salesmanship behind their opinions? Finally, fact-check what you're hearing. Don't believe everything you hear. Make sure that the information being shared is scientifically sound. Once you've found sources that pass these tests, bookmark them!











2. I won't lie. It can be hard; especially the first year! While some people have no problem rocking a TWA (teenie weenie afro), I was not one of those persons. I was HORRIFIED with the way I looked with a TWA. But with patience, prayer, and a few good wigs I made it. I say all this to say stay encouraged. The time WILL pass. Don't be afraid to try wigs, weaves, or even scarves but if you can stick through the first year (aka the hump), you'll never look back.



3. STAY ENCOURAGED!!! This short video should help!


Why did I go natural? Find out all about it in this video: