June 6, 2012

Beware Fake Hair Gurus, Product Prophets and other Natural Fools!


Ok. I hate to appear that I'm starting mess because I'm not. I believe in civilized debate so let's go!.......

Call me touchy but I get upset when I see people saying things that make NO scientific sense to me (and I have a BS in Biology from Virginia Union University and a Master's Degree in Public Health from Yale so science is my thing ya'll).

I say it all the time-education is key to a successful hair journey. This means you need to not just follow the advice/opinion of others but you MUST do your own research and fact-checking. Don't  trust everything that people tell you (inluding me!).

I LOVE the growth in the natural/healthy hair community but there seem to be a lot of fake hair gurus popping up and I just don't know that the info they pass along is helping folks along the journey. I mean quite honestly, all it takes to be a guru, is a camera and YouTube account. There is NO quality review or fact-checking done by YouTube, Blogger, or most websites. Some of these "natural hair experts" have no business offering advice. They have no science or cosmetology training. They have very limited experience along the journey. And versus science-based truths, they offer a lot of opinion. Well last I checked, opinions are like behinds, everybody has one but half of them STINK! Remember the Type F videos? LOL! That was a great case in point!

Journey to My Roots Parody of the Type F "Natural Hair" Styling Videos



So what got this started? I was just browsing and I read the following post:

"Just so you know a denman brush is made out of plastic which is a bi-product of petroleum. Parabens are also petrochemicals. So a denman brush is really a solid paraben!!! To remain all natural you should use a cactus leaf to detangle your hair with... "

OH REALLY?????? And where is the science behind this little gem of advice?

So what is a Denman? A Denman brush is a plastic or rubber bristle brush. Because plastic/rubber does not conduct electricity like boar bristles, Denman's are GREAT for detangling, reducing frizz, taming and styling. Everybody has their own personal faves but I SWEAR by my Denman brush!


I'm not sure if this was researched but the logic doesn't even make sense to me. I look at it like a math problem.
  • Petrochemicals = A. 
  • Denmans use plastic so plastics = B (or a fraction of B because they may have other composite materials built in). 
  • Parabens=C. 
  • The logic: Who says B or C= A? I'm not saying this person is totally wrong but 'm gonna need to see some science behind this assertion because for me, I can't get the math to work.

Parabens are synthetic preservatives used in many cosmetics to give them shelf life (ie honey and tea tree oil are natural preservatives). For some people, these parabens cause irritation and while not proven, there is debate as to whether or not parabens are carcinogenic (cancer-causing) That said, we're talking about a brush not a product. Except for ghetto azz Pookie who walks around with a comb in his head all day, what is the risk if your'e not leaving the brush in all day? What real risk is there for irritation? Learn all about parabens and more in my blog



Learn even more about natural hair tools, techniques, lingo, etc my tutorial 



Your hair is DEAD folks. The roots are alive but the actual hair sprouting from your head is a non-living string of protein. So who cares if you brush with a Denman or a strand of celery? So long as the brush doesn't break the hair, who cares what it is made of? Learn all about the structure of hair in Kimmaytube's "Structure of Hair" video on YouTube. Click the link below to see that video. And be sure to subscribe to her channel. She offers GREAT tutorials with EDUCATION on hair.



I'm all for healthy natural hair but I also being in KISS- Keep it simple silly! I also don't believe in going broke to go natural! So pardon me for saying but (in my Emmanuel and Phillip Hudson voice) Some of these natural be doing the most. A cactus brush? Really? Where can I get that and how much does it cost? Doesn't it conduct electricity just like a boar bristle brush? That transmission of electricity = static= damage! So is that truly the answer if the Denman stuff is true (which I DOUBT! )

So in summary , be very wary ya'll. Listen but don't trust anything until you validate it (even the things you get here!). And remember, don't take advice from folks you wouldn't want to trade places with. If the speakers' hair is not where you wanna be, why would you take their advice? Would you take financial advice from someone in bankruptcy? SAME THING!

So perhaps there is some science to what the poster says but I just don't buy it. And I say that with all due respect! Still, for the false hair gurus out there, here is my rant! ...



What are Your Thoughts?
Does this hypothesis on the Denman brush make sense to you? Am I off base about the cropping up of a lot of fake hair gurus? Share your thoughts in the comments section below OR come over to my Facebook Page and Share Your Thoughts There! Just remember, this is a CIVILIZED debate, not a forum for Napzis to harass or disrespect others who disagree with their opinion. If you pull that crap you WILL BE BOOTED! See ya there!



Addendum: 
No sooner than I'd posted this blog that I learned that the "cactus brush poster", Calvis TheCriscoKid Williamson, was actually joking around and poking fun at all the foolishenss that happens in the natural hair community. She and I e-talked and had a hilarious exchange about this topic. But even if not cacti brushes, I think the point remains. There are a lot of fake hair gurus out there offering advice based on nothing more than what they have heard. They've done no research or fact-checking and they don't even seem to give it the common-sense smell test. Check out the video below for the case in point. I have a science basis but never-minding her hide-and-seek edges, I doubt she researched miconazole, the active ingredient in Monistat or other cooter creams. miconazole is an anti-fungal. Do you think she looked that up first? Further, there have been NO tests of miconazole for hair use. To assume a product works on one area of the body does not mean it is safe to use on another area! Lastly, putting the "my bad" screen up" after the fact is not very helpful. She should have pulled the video altogether because I can't help but to wonder how many of the 40,000+ viewers tried this prior to hearing her correction? Siggghhhh!


So the moral of the blog? 
Don't be a natural hair Lamont (For you young folks, Lamont was the son of Fred Sanford on the Sanford and Son show. He was constantly calling Lamont "ya big dummy"!). Do your own research. Fact-check what you've read, seen, or heard. To do less makes you a natural haired dummy!

7 comments:

  1. The whole denman/plastic/petrochemical comment was actually a joke. I saw that too on the Natural Hair group on facebook and the lady that made the comment is always cracking jokes like that. Just wanted to let u know she wasn't serious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I later learned. She and I had a good laugh. I told her she got me good. But fact is, there ARE lots of folks doing stuff that is dumb, dumb, dumb....simply because someone on FB or YouTube said too. Do a search for Monistat for hair on Youtube. You'll see. LOL!

      Delete
  2. LOL I like this post.

    I don't think the brush should be an issue b/c the majority of stuff around us in our homes are a danger to us.

    It's hard to avoid anything that may be carcinogenic when we experience it daily.

    I think cactus may be nice for some people but have people considered detangling with their own hands? People are definitely doing the most LOL. Just keep it simple and if it worries you too much use wood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ITA. No sooner than I posted this blog did I learn that the poster was joking. Apparently she is quite the kidder. She got me good. We had a good laugh. Still, I think the point remains. Some of these naturals stay doing the most.....doing THE most. LOL!

      Delete
    2. LOL good thing it was a joke! But this post still demonstrates that some 'hair gurus' may be giving out the wrong information. Yeah some are definitely doing the most though LOL, I've seen it all.

      Delete
  3. hahaha,I agree with much of what your saying here on this blog post. IMO anybody starting out wit peace N blessings, I'm out gone.I feel that Going back to the salons before they are all shut down and the community we once had is Just a legend is a smart thing to do.

    ReplyDelete