January 3, 2012

My Hair Regimen





I have to admit, since going natural, I'm often asked how I get my hair to grow so quickly. Admittedly, I too have been pleasantly surprised.That said, it's important to point out that everyone's hair grows at its own pace. The science says hair grows at an average rate of 1/2 inch per month. And while there are lots of factors affecting how quickly your own hair will grow (i.e, genetics, health status, etc), I can tell you this much. Your hair can only grow at its best rate when it's healthy. And the best way to get healthy hair is to use healthy hair practices. You can find tutorials, testimonials, (and sometimes tantrums) about my natural journey on my YouTube channel, JourneytomyRoots. Check it out! In the meantime, here are some key pointers:

  • Education: I say it all the time, education and moisture- the two keys to a successful natural journey! When I started my natural hair journey, I spent tons of time watching YouTube videos, reading blogs, researching the science and experimenting with products. I quickly figured out that while a lot of the stuff is hype, you do start to see a few practices which are almost universal. You also find some true-blue, keeping-it-real, naturalistas whose advice you can trust. Some of my favorite channels are 
  • Learning the science and the lingo: While you don't have to become a scientist, an important step in going natural is learning the science behind common hair products; specifically, which ingredients to look for and which to avoid. You can always tell a true naturalista because we don’t just smell the product, we read the labels! Natural oils, mineral oil, parabens, silicones, sulfates, and more! They're all common and they all have a lot to due with your hair's health! You can learn all about ingredients and other natural hair terms (ie cowashing, TWA, protective styling) in my tutorial "The ABC's of Hair Speak". Yes, the video is a bit long but it covers over 30 natural and healthy hair topics. Break it up. Watch a little now, a little later. It's a great place to get your feet wet without having to go to multiple sites, blogs, channels or pages. Click here to check it out>>> The ABC's of Hair Speak

  • Moisturizing: Water is the ONLY means to moisturize the hair so it's important to cleanse your hair at least once per week. Versus shampooing, I no-poo or cowash my hair meaning I wash with conditioner or sulfate free shampoo. I cowash/nopoo between 2-4 times per week (more in the summer, less in the winter). My fave cowash products are Herbal Essences Hello Hydration conditioner and Shea Moisture Moisture Retention Shampoo. Yeah, I tried a lot of the pricey products but at the end of the day, I found they were just that, pricey while not necessarily offering any visible difference. That said, you still need to experiment to find out what works best for you. Just don’t buy into the belief that it has to be something expensive. And remember that what works wonderfully for one person may not work at all for you...even if their hair appears to be "just like yours". Learn all about cowasing and nopooing in my tutorial here>>>Cowashing & Nopooing 101

Sealing:
 After watering your hair, you want to lock it in. 
The best way to lock in your water is by applying a sealant. A good sealant not only locks in water, it also feeds your hair vitamins and minerals. It protects your hair from sun damage. It stimulates cell regeneration and it wards off microbes. These factors are why sealants such as shea butter and natural oils are much better than synthetic sealants that use mineral oil, petrolatum, petroleum or paraffin; namely hair grease.  I typically seal with one of two products. Jamaican Black Castor Oil or Quench. Quench is the homemade product I make. If you are interested in learning about or ordering Quench, click here>>> Got Thirsty Tresses? Quench Them!



  • Handle with care (and sparingly): Like so many naturals, this one is hard for me. I call it hand-in-hair-itis! I love playing with my newly natural crown of coils. Unfortunately, curly hair does not want to be fussed with too much. At best, it makes the hair frizzy and at worst, it damages the hair. So try to give your hair a break. Handle it sparingly and as much as possible, use protective styles. Learn all about protective styling in my tutorial here>>> Protective Styling 101
  • Transitioning: I didn't do any transition styles but I did and still do keep a wig around for the days when I'm too lazy to do my hair or not ready to take out my twists. These days you can get an inexpensive wig at any local hair shop. Check it out...
  • Protecting: Always cover your hair with a silk or satin scarf at nighttime; never cotton. Cotton draws the moisture out of your hair and skin.

While not all, these are the key hair practices I have used religiously since going natural. They've definitely worked at helping me to grow longer, stronger, healthy hair...and doing so quickly. 


Til next time fellow Journeyers!!!!!!!