February 1, 2015

The Truth of the Natural/Healthy Hair Journey



If I had a nickel for every time I see a picture with a natural using a ruler to measure their newly natural tresses or flat-ironing within the first few months of going natural to determine their 'progress', I would be rich. Sure, there's nothing wrong with wanting to know but why? Why so soon? 

Remember this is a healthy hair journey.....meaning it's a process. Over the course of your journey, you will evolve. And just as with any evolution, education is key.


If you want to measure your hair with a ruler that's fine. But here's a nugget of wisdom I've learned along my journey thus far. More important than the ruler, the growth you seek stems not from your scalp but from your soul. Spiritual growth will affirm that natural hair, no hair, or long-hair-don't-care.....YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL. J Cole said it perfectly in his song Crooked Smile.  'Baby girl you're a star, don't let 'em tell you you're not....Cause what's real is something that the eyes can't see...that the hands can't touch.'




Whatever religion you adhere to is your choice but hopefully you know that the Creator broke the mold when he/she made you. As part of your divine rite, you were given an immeasurable amount of beauty. It cannot be measured by rulers, reflected in magazines, or captured in selfies.


I say all this to say don't get fixated on length. Focusing on length is like putting the cart before the horse. Instead of length, make your focus education. Educate yourself on all things healthy hair. 

Think you know enough already? Great!
Surely you can pass this simple little quiz.....
Feeling a little less sure than you'd thought? No worries! There's tons of great information here as well as on countless other vlogs, blogs, websites, etc. Kimmaytube or luvnaturals is one of my faves when it comes to kicking knowledge. Learning styles is great but learning science is more important as it gives you a firm foundation upon which to build your journey. Check her out below....



Remember to keep this in mind at all times: while eventually freeing, the healthy hair journey is just that; a journey. There's no single point when you're 'done'. Rather, you keep moving. You keep learning and through learning, you keep growing. 


While originally it was just a 'hair thing', my natural/healthy hair journey has become so much more. It's a journey into myself. It's a journey leading me to question everything I've been taught. It's a journey that has led me to redefine everything I'd once used to define beauty. And while I'd always thought I was confident, it was not until I walked into a corporate office or hopping nightclub rocking a TWA that I realized that I too had internalized society's teachings on the standards of beauty for women. 



Well it's been nearly 5 years since I went natural and needless to say that old mindset is gone. I find the beauty exuding from internal qualities far more important than the fleeting beauty that exudes from physical features. 

So whether natural or relaxed; long and blonde or tight and coily my journey has shown me just how beautiful I am.....and call me boastful but this beauty cannot be measured with a ruler!! 
How about you? 
Share your comments in the comments section below.

Remember, sites like these only survive with support from you. As the page grows, we all grow as each of us is the support system for someone else. Please repost, re-tweet, like, subscribe to my YT channel and like my FB page. 
Your support is MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment