January 31, 2015

Natural Hair Naming, What's Yours?


I haven't updated my Facebook status but yes, I'm in a relationship....a love, hate relationship with my hair. Perhaps it's that relationship. Perhaps it's the fact that we spend so much time together or perhaps I'm a few crayons short of a box but just like my car, yes, I have a name for my hair!

I call my hair Millie. And just like that old school classic about 'Me and Ms. Jones'
...me and 'Millie'; we got a thang going on!


Some days Millie is frisky. She craves a ridiculous amount of attention and don't get me started on her love of gifts. Be it a beautiful new bandeaux, a gorgeous new head wrap, a dollop of Quench, or some Strong Roots Jamaican Black Castor Oil ; Millie has no chill when it comes to being pampered.







That said, just like a slighted lover, there are days when Millie practically dares me to touch her. She's quick to give me the side-eye and do her own thing.  Love her or hate her, I've learned to live with her. LOL!

Whether she's fierce, feisty, flat, frizzy or a fussy mess, Millie has earned her name! How could I dishonor anything so dynamic, unique and powerful?

While all hair is beautiful in it's own way, something about natural hair seems to still bring out questions, remarks, and actions that leave you saying 'hmmmmmmmm'! I mean honestly, how is it possible that we live in a world where people make comments such as seen here...




While we can all sit around cursing QVC, fact is, natural hair 'foot-in-mouth' syndrome is not limited to any particular race, region, situation, etc. (lest we recall 'Method Man's dislike of 'peasy' headed women who don't get their hair 'did'???????)
Heck, my own friends have left me speechless from time-to-time.


What about you? If not by your own choice what names have OTHER people attributed to your hair?

To be honest, the words of Lil' Wayne come to mind. When I'm rocking my natural hair, I feel 'I'm a king. I need a horn and a drumroll'! How else should I feel? Anything that attracts such attention, envy, anger, inquiry and imitation deserves a name and more!




So if you've not met her yet, let me introduce you to my significant other. Her name is Millie!





What about you? What is your hair's name? What names have others referred to your hair as? Haven't done so yet? Give her a name and then do a happy dance! Show her some love!




Share in the comments and come on over to Facebook and let's chat more about it!


 Click the picture or head over to https://www.facebook.com/groups/JourneytomyRoots and share!
Click the picture above or click here >>> https://www.facebook.com/groups/JourneytomyRoots

Remember, sites like these only survive with support from you. As the page grows, we all grow as each of us is the support system for someone else. Please repost, re-tweet, like, subscribe to my YT channel and like my FB page. 
Your support is MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment